Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Ultimate Place For Everything

I recently stumbled upon this awesome file-sharing Chinese website, VeryCD.com where you can download loads and loads of great stuffs.  It's in Chinese of course but you could always use Google Translator to find your way around it.  A word of caution though, sometimes Google crashes as it tries to translate the page.  I always find this hilarious! :-)  So anyway, VeryCD works like a torrent index site so you'll also be needing some sort of network client.  In this case, you'll be needing eMule.  I've recently downloaded some hard-to-find albums and believe me, the download time is actually way faster than those other Western-based torrent portals.  What's also worth mentioning is the fact that every time you download something, the site would suggest similar files that you might likewise be interested to download, sort of like Amazon's "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section.  I found this to be very helpful.  


Apparently, VeryCD has had its own share of controversy.  There have been numerous yet futile attempts to have it closed (I cried when Mininova went "legal" okay?) but at the time of this writing, the site seems to be very much healthy and functioning.  I guess China still has got lax copyright laws which is good for people like me who cannot afford to buy CDs and DVDs every now and then.  Sure, we can debate about the legality of downloading music and all the issues it encompasses but I leave that argument to U2's great frontman Bono who once said that, "It's not the Internet that's killing the music industry.  It's bad music that's killing the music industry."  Amen, brother! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment